You are here
- Home >
- Heather Powell
- Associate Professor, Materials Science Engineering
- Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
2041 College Road
346 MacQuigg Laboratory
Columbus, OH 43210
Lumley Research Award.
Distinguished Undergraduate Research Mentor Award.
Herman Weed Award for Distinguished Teaching.
Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award.
Shriner's Hospitals for Children Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship.
National Defense Science amd Engineering Graduate Fellowship.
University Fellow, The Ohio State University.
Materials Research Society: Undergraduate Materials Research Initiative Proposal Funded.
National Association of Geoscience Teachers Field Camp Award.
- Powell, H.M., Lannutti, J.J., Kniss, D.A.. 2010. "Nanoscalar Modifications to Tissue Engineering Polymers: Physical Control of Cell Behavior." VDM Publishing Ltd..
- 2011. "Fluorescein diacetate for determination of cell viability in three-dimensional tissue engineered constructs." In Mammalian Cell Viability, edited by Martin Stoddart,
- Peake, M.; Pan, K.; Rotatori, R.M.; Powell, H. et al., 2019, "Incorporation of 3D stereophotogrammetry as a reliable method for assessing scar volume in standard clinical practice." Burns
- DeBruler, D.M.; Baumann, M.E.; Blackstone, B.N.; Zbinden, J.C. et al., 2019, "Role of Early Application of Pressure Garments following Burn Injury and Autografting.." Plastic and reconstructive surgery 143, no. 2, 310e-321e - 310e-321e.
- DeBruler, D.M.; Blackstone, B.N.; McFarland, K.L.; Baumann, M.E. et al., 2018, "Effect of skin graft thickness on scar development in a porcine burn model.." Burns : journal of the International Society for Burn Injuries 44, no. 4, 917-930 - 917-930.
- Sinha, M.; Sen, C.K.; Singh, K.; Das, A. et al., 2018, "Direct conversion of injury-site myeloid cells to fibroblast-like cells of granulation tissue.." Nature communications 9, no. 1, 936 - 936.
- Shukla, V.; Barnhouse, V.; Ackerman, W.E.; Summerfield, T.L. et al., 2018, "Cellular Mechanics of Primary Human Cervical Fibroblasts: Influence of Progesterone and a Pro-inflammatory Cytokine.." Annals of biomedical engineering 46, no. 1, 197-207 - 197-207.
- Blackstone, B.N.; Kim, J.Y.; McFarland, K.L.; Sen, C.K. et al., 2017, "Scar formation following excisional and burn injuries in a red Duroc pig model.." Wound repair and regeneration : official publication of the Wound Healing Society [and] the European Tissue Repair Society 25, no. 4, 618-631 - 618-631.
- Kim, J.Y.; Willard, J.J.; Supp, D.M.; Roy, S. et al., 2015, "Burn Scar Biomechanics after Pressure Garment Therapy.." Plastic and reconstructive surgery 136, no. 3, 572-581 - 572-581.
- Gnyawali, S.C.; Barki, K.G.; Mathew-Steiner, S.S.; Dixith, S. et al., 2015, "High-resolution harmonics ultrasound imaging for non-invasive characterization of wound healing in a pre-clinical swine model.." PloS one 10, no. 3, e0122327 - e0122327.
- Roy, S.; Elgharably, H.; Sinha, M.; Ganesh, K. et al., 2014, "Mixed-species biofilm compromises wound healing by disrupting epidermal barrier function.." The Journal of pathology 233, no. 4, 331-343 - 331-343.
- Willard, J.J., Drexler, J.W., Das, A., Roy, S., Shilo, S., Shoseyov, O.,Powell, H.M., 2013, "Plant-Derived Human Recombinant Collagen Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering." Tissue Engineering Part A 19, no. 13-14, 1507-1518 - 1507-1518.
- Blackstone, B.N., Willard, J.J., Nelson, M.T., Hart, R.T., Lannutti, J.J., Powell, H.M., 2012, "Plasma surface modification of electrospun fibers for adhesion-based cancer cell sorting." Integrative Biology 4, no. 9, 1112-1121 - 1112-1121.
- Blackstone, B.N., Powell, H.M., 2012, "Morphogenesis and Biomechanics of Engineered Skin Cultured Under Uniaxial Strain." Advances in Wound Care 1, no. 1/2, 69-74 - 69-74.
- Blackstone, B.N., Wolever, J.D., and H.M. Powell, 2012, "Structural Alterations in Scaffold Architecture in Response to Mechanical Stimuli." Journal of Tissue Science and Engineering 3, no. 4, 122 - 122.
- Gundersen, S.I.; Chen, G.; Powell, H.M.; Palmer, A.F., 2010, "Hemoglobin regulates the metabolic and synthetic function of rat insulinoma cells cultured in a hollow fiber bioreactor.." Biotechnology and bioengineering 107, no. 3, 582-592 - 582-592.
- Powell, H.M., K.L. McFarland, D.L. Butler, D.M. Supp and S.T. Boyce, 2010, "Uniaxial strain regulates gene expression, morphogenesis and tissue strength in engineered skin." Tissue Engineering A 16, no. 3, 1083-1092 - 1083-1092.
- Ebersole, G.C., Anderson, P.M., Powell, H.M., 2010, "Epidermal Differentiation Governs Engineered Skin Biomechanics." Journal of Biomechanics 16, no. 43, 3183-3190 - 3183-3190.
- Gundersen, S.I., Chen, G., Powell, H.M., Palmer, A.F., 2010, "Hemoglobin regulates the metabolic and synthetic function of rat insulinoma cells cultured in a hollow fiber bioreactor." Biotechnology and Bioengineering 3, no. 107, 582-592 - 582-592.
- Powell, H.M, Kniss, D.A., Lannutti, J.J., 2006, "Nanotopographic Control of Cytoskeletal Organization." Langmuir 22, no. 11, 5087-5094 - 5087-5094.
- Powell, H.M., Boyce, S.T., 2006, "EDC cross-linking improves skin substitute strength and stability." Biomaterials 27, no. 34, 5821-5827 - 5821-5827.
- Wang H, Lee JK, Moursi AM, Anderson D, Winnard P, Powell H, Lannutti J, 2004, "Microstructural disassembly of calcium phosphates." Journal of Biomedical Materials Research 68, no. 1, 61-70 - 61-70.
- Wang,Haibo; Lee,Jong-Kook; Moursi,Amr,M; Anderson,David; Winnard,Phillip; Powell,Heather; Lannutti,John, 2004, "Microstructural disassembly of calcium phosphates.." Journal of biomedical materials research. Part A 68, no. 1, 61-70 - 61-70.
- Fischer, S.N., Weber, M.E., Baran, C.P., Willard, J.J., Johnson, J., Sanders, J.A., Ostrowski, M.C., Lannutti, J.J., Powell, H.M., Ghadiali, S., and C.B. Marsh, "The biostructural and biomechanical effects of eta-2 phosphorylation in pulmonary fibrosis." American Journal of Physiology - Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology
- "Composite Scaffolds for Improved Engineered Skin Strength and Viability." 2010, Presented at Wound Healing Society and Society for the Advancement of Wound Care Annual Meeting,
- "Control of Engineered Coaxial Scaffold Strength Using Core Diameter." 2009, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting,
- "Effect of Mechanical Stimulation on Construct Linear Stiffness for MSC-Collagen-Chondroitin-6-Sulfate Tissue Engineered Constructs." 2010, Presented at Midwest Tissue Engineering Consortium,
- "Culture Under Static Mechanical Load Improves Electrospun Skin Substitute Strength." 2007, Presented at Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society,
- "Biomaterials as Drug Delivery Devices via Subcritical CO2 Modification." 2004, Presented at Society for Biomaterials World Congress,
- "Bioengineered Skin Substitutes Fabricated with Electrospun Decrease In Vivo Wound Contraction." 2007, Presented at Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine Society International,
- "Soft Tissue Biomechanics." 2009, Presented at University of Cincinnati,
- "PCL-Gelatin Nanofibers for Extended Drug Release." 2011, Presented at MS&T Fall National Meeting,
- "Somatic Stem Cells for Tissue Engineering." 2009, Presented at Stem Cell Interest Group Meeting,
- "Mechano-Modulation of Burn Wound Scarring." 2010, Presented at Center for Clinical and Translational Science Pilot Awardee Symposium,
- "Composite Scaffolds for Skin Engineering." 2010, Presented at Heal Ohio Annual Meeting,
- "Mechanical and Molecular Strategies to Control Skin Mechanics." 2013, Presented at University of Minnesota, Big Ten BME Invited Lecture Series,
- "An Experiment-Simulation Approach to Determine Electrospun Fiber Properties." 2011, Presented at MS&T Fall National Meeting,
- "Influence of Scaffold Hydration on Fiber Geometry and Extension." 2011, Presented at MS&T Fall National Meeting,
- "A Combined Computational-Experimental Approach to Improving Engineered Skin Biomechanics." 2012, Presented at 5th Annual Translational to Clinical Regenerative Medicine Wound Care Conference,
- "Materials Development for Biomimetic Engineered Skin Mechanics." 2011, Presented at MS&T Fall National Meeting,
- "Vascular Wall Engineering via Femtosecond Laser Processing." 2011, Presented at MS&T Fall National Meeting,
- "Engineered Skin: New Strategies for Biomechanical Mimicry." 2012, Presented at Mathematical Biosciences Institute Workshop on Tissue Engineering,
- "Effect of Pore Size and Mechanical Stimulation on Stiffness and Col1 Gene Expression of Collagen-C6S Constructs." 2010, Presented at Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting,
- "Geometric Deformation of Scaffolds as a Function of Scaffold Stiffness." 2011, Presented at TMS Spring Meeting,
- "Biomaterial, Mechanical and Molecular Strategies to Control Skin Mechanics." 2013, Presented at University of Cincinnati, BME Seminar Series,
- "Biomaterial, Mechanical and Molecular Strategies to Control Skin Mechanics." 2013, Presented at University of Akron, BME Department Seminar,
- "Computational Modeling and Scaffold Design in Regenerative Medicine." 2013, Presented at 6th Annual Translational to Clinical Regenerative Medicine Wound Care Conference,
- "Mechano-Modulation of Burn Wound Scarring." 2013, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Myoferlin Depletion Increases Adhesion and Alters Adhesion Proteins in Breast Cancer Cells." 2013, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Computational Modeling and Mechanical Stimulation for Enhanced Bioengineered Skin Mechanics." 2013, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Engineered Skin Biomechanics: Balancing Biology and Materials Science." 2010, Presented at Department of Mechanical Science Colloquium Series,
- "Capturing the Local Mechanical Environment and Single Fiber Response in PCL Scaffolds." 2013, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Skin Biomechanics: Role of miRNA and Mechano-Modulation." 2012, Presented at Shriners Hospitals for Children Research Seminar,
- "Fatigue Properties of Electrospun Tri-Layered Vascular Graft Scaffolds." 2013, Presented at BMES Annual Meeting,
- "Gene expression and protein production in electrospun skin substitutes cultured under static strain." 2008, Presented at Midwest Tissue Engineering Consortium,
- "Engineering Biomimetic Skin Mechanics." 2009, Presented at Dorothy M. Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute Research in Progress,
Papers in Proceedings
- Roy, S.; Santra, S.; Das, A.; Dixith, S. et al. "Staphylococcus aureus Biofilm Infection Compromises Wound Healing by Causing Deficiencies in Granulation Tissue Collagen.." (1 2019).
- Bailey, J.K.; Blackstone, B.N.; DeBruler, D.M.; Kim, J.Y. et al. "Effects of early combinatorial treatment of autologous split-thickness skin grafts in red duroc pig model using pulsed dye laser and fractional CO2 laser.." (1 2018).
- Powell,Heather,M; McFarland,Kevin,L; Butler,David,L; Supp,Dorothy,M; Boyce,Steven,T "UNIAXIAL STRAIN REGULATES MORPHOGENESIS, GENE EXPRESSION AND TISSUE STRENGTH IN ENGINEERED SKIN." in Wound Healing Society Annual Meeting. (3 2009).
- Nirmalanandhan, V.S., Kinneberg, K.R.C., Juncosa-Melvin, N., Powell, H.M., Rao, M., Boyce, S.T., Butler, D.L. "Evaluation of a novel scaffold material for tendon tissue engineering." in Proceeding of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference. (1 2007).
- Ayodeji, O.; Powell, H.; Sproule, T.; Chan, K. et al. "Impregnation of paclitaxel in bioaborbable polymer." (12 2004).
- Powell, H.M., Sen, C.K., Roy, S.. "VacAid: New Generation Band-Aid for Wound Care."
- Powell, H.M., Weirich T., Thomson, M.. "Device for Precise Delivery of Heat and Pressure for Burn Wound Generation."
- Powell, H.M., Lannutti, J.J., Blackstone, B.N.. "Adhesion-Based Cancer Cell Sorting via Electrospun Fiber." Patent number: 61/620,630
- Powell, H.M., Butler, D.L., Lannutti, J.J., Gilday, S.. "Directed Drug Delivery Scaffold for Improving Tendon-Bone Repair."