You are here
- Home >
- Samir Ghadiali
- Chair, Biomedical Engineering
- Professor, Pulmonary, Crit Care, & Sleep
- Professor, Biomedical Engineering
1080 Carmack Road
402A Bevis Hall
Columbus, OH 43210
- B.S., Chemical Eng., Cornell University, 1994
- M.S., Biomedical Eng., Tulane University, 1998
- Ph.D., Biomedical Eng., Tulane University, 2000
Key Honors and Distinctions
- Lumley Interdisciplinary Research Award, College of Engineering, Ohio State University, 2015
- Lumley Research Award, College of Engineering, Ohio State University, 2014
- Herman Weed Excellence in Teaching Award, 2010
- NSF CAREER Award, 2008-2013
- NIH RO1 New Investigator Award, 2006-2011
- Parker B. Francis Fellowship in Pulmonary Research, 2005-2008
- Frank Hook Assistant Professorship in Bioengineering, 2005 – 2007
- US National Committee on Biomechanics New Faculty Award, 2005
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Post-doctoral Research Fellowship, 2001
RESEARCH AREAS – Ghadiali Respiratory Mechanobiology Laboratory
- Cell Mechanics, Mechanobiology, Biofluid Mechanics, Fluid-Structure Interactions, Tissue Mechanics; Mechanobiology of Lung Injury and Inflammation; Multi-scale Modeling of Eustachian Tube Function; microRNA Biology and Cell/Tissue Engineering
Dr. Ghadiali’s laboratory uses a combination of engineering, mathematical and molecular biology tools to to identify the mechanobiological mechanisms responsible for various respiratory and pulmonary/critical care disorders. A major emphasis of the lab is the translation of basic scientific knowledge about how mechanical factors influence disease progression into novel therapeutic agents for several disorders including Otitis Media/Upper Respiratory Infections, Acute Lung Injury, Lung and Breast Cancer and Pulmonary Fibrosis. The laboratory conducts in-vitro, in-vivo and ex-vivo experiments and also develops multi-scale computational models of the respiratory system. Current focus areas for the lab included 1) Biomechanical Mechanisms of Upper Respiratory Disorders, 2) Mechanobiology of Cellular Injury and Inflammation during Mechanical Ventilation and 3) Biomechanical Mechanisms of Cancer Cell Metastasis. Dr. Ghadiali’s research has been/is supported by the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, the Pelotonia Cancer Research Program and the American Heart Association.
Lumley Research Award.
NSF CAREER Award.
NIH RO1 New Investigator Award.
Herman Weed Excellence in Teaching Award.
Parker B. Francis Fellowship in Pulmonary Research.
Frank Hook Assistant Professorship in Bioengineering.
US National Committee on Biomechanics New Faculty Award.
Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Post-doctoral Research Fellowship.
Louisiana Board of Regents Graduate Study Scholarship.
Chair of Respiratory Engineering Track at BMES Annual Meetings in 2009 and 2014.
- 2013. "microRNAs and Inflammation, 2013." In MicroRNAs in Toxicology and Medicine, edited by Saura Sahu,
- 2013. "MicroRNAs and Inflammation." In Micro-RNAs in Toxicology and Medicine, edited by Saura Sahu,
- 2011. "Mechanobiology and finite element analysis of cellular injury during microbubble flows." In Cellular and Biomolecular Mechanics and Mechanobiology, edited by Amit Gefen,
- 2008. "Computer Modeling in Otitis Media: Perspectives and Limits." In Chronic Otitis Media, Pathology -guided, Pathogenesis-oriented Therapeutic Management, edited by Bernard Ars,
- Barnhouse, V.R.; Weist, J.L.; Shukla, V.C.; Ghadiali, S.N. et al., 2018, "Myoferlin regulates epithelial cancer cell plasticity and migration through autocrine TGF-β1 signaling.." Oncotarget 9, no. 27, 19209-19222 - 19209-19222.
- Blackstone, B.N.; Li, R.; Ackerman, W.E.; Ghadiali, S.N. et al., 2015, "Myoferlin depletion elevates focal adhesion kinase and paxillin phosphorylation and enhances Cell-Matrix adhesion in breast cancer cells." American Journal of Physiology - Cell Physiology 308, no. 8, C642-C649 - C642-C649.
- Volakis,Leonithas,I; Li,Ruth; Ackerman,William,E; Mihai,Cosmin; Bechel,Meagan; Summerfield,Taryn,L; Ahn,Christopher,S; Powell,Heather,M; Zielinski,Rachel; Rosol,Thomas,J; Ghadiali,Samir,N; Kniss,Douglas,A, 2014, "Loss of Myoferlin Redirects Breast Cancer Cell Motility towards Collective Migration.." PloS one 9, no. 2, e86110 - e86110.
- Volakis, L.I.; Li, R.; Ackerman, W.E.; Mihai, C. et al., 2014, "Loss of myoferlin redirects breast cancer cell motility towards collective migration.." PloS one 9, no. 2, e86110 - e86110.
- Ma,Xiaoyue; Schickel,Maureen,E; Stevenson,Mark,D; Sarang-Sieminski,Alisha,L; Gooch,Keith,J; Ghadiali,Samir,N; Hart,Richard,T, 2013, "Fibers in the Extracellular Matrix Enable Long-Range Stress Transmission between Cells." BIOPHYSICAL JOURNAL 104, no. 7, 1410-1418 - 1410-1418.
- Huang,Yan; Crawford,Melissa; Higuita-Castro,Natalia; Nana-Sinkam,Patrick; Ghadiali,Samir,N, 2012, "miR-146a regulates mechanotransduction and pressure-induced inflammation in small airway epithelium." FASEB JOURNAL 26, no. 8, 3351-3364 - 3351-3364.
- Mengistu, M., Brotzman, H., Ghadiali, S.N., Lowe-Krentz, L., 2011, "Fluid Shear Stress-Induced JNK Activity Leads to Actin Remodeling for Cell Alignment." Journal of Cell Physiology 1, no. 226, 110-121 - 110-121.
- Sheer, F.J, Swarts, J.D., Ghadiali, S.N., 2010, "Finite Element Analysis of Eustachian Tube Function in Cleft Palate Infants Based on Histological Reconstructions." Cleft Palate Craniofacial Journal 6, no. 47, 600-610 - 600-610.
- Huang, Y., Haas, C., Ghadiali, S.N., 2010, "Influence of Transmural Pressure and Cytoskeletal Structure on NF-κB Activation in Respiratory Epithelial Cells." Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering 4, no. 3, 415-427 - 415-427.
- Dailey, H.L., Ghadiali, S.N., 2010, "Influence of Power Law Rheology on Cell Injury During Microbubble Flows." Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology 3, no. 9, 263-279 - 263-279.
- Ghadiali, S.N., Bell, E.D., Swarts, J.D., 2010, "Timing of Tensor and Levator Veli Palatini Force Applications Determines Eustachian Tube Active Resistance Patterns during the Forced Response Test." Auris Nasus Larynx 6, no. 37, 720-729 - 720-729.
- Yalcin, H.C., Hallow, K.M., Wang, J., Ou-Yang, H.D., Ghadiali, S.N., 2009, "Influence of Cytoskeletal Structure and Mechanics on Epithelial Cell Injury during Cyclic Airway Reopening." American Journal of Physiology: Lung Cell and Molecular Physiology 5, no. 297, L881-L891 - L881-L891.
- Dailey, H.L., Ricles, L.M., Yalcin, H.C., Ghadiali, S.N., 2009, "Image-Based Finite Element Modeling of Alveolar Epithelial Cell Injury during Airway Reopening." Journal of Applied Physiology ?, no. 106, 221-232 - 221-232.
- Ghadiali, S.N., 2009, "Invited Editorial: Making "Time" for Alveolar Recruitment." Journal of Applied Physiology no. 106, 751-752 - 751-752.
- Wei, M.T., Zaorski, A., Yalcin, H.C., Wang, J., Hallow, M., Ghadiali, S.N., Chiou, A., Ou-Yang, H.D., 2008, "A Comparative Study of Living Cell Micromechanical Properties by Oscillatory Optical Tweezers." Optics Express ?, no. 16, 8594-8603 - 8594-8603.
- Ghadiali, S.N. & Gaver, D.P., 2008, "Biomechanics of Liquid-Epithelium Interactions in Pulmonary Airways." Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology ?, no. 163, 232-243 - 232-243.
- Dailey, H.L. & Ghadiali, S.N., 2007, "Fluid-Structure Analysis of Microparticle Transport in Deformable Pulmonary Alveoli." Journal of Aerosol Science ?, no. 38, 269-288 - 269-288.
- Yalcin, H.C., Perry, S.F., Ghadiali, S.N., 2007, "Influence of Airway Diameter and Cell Confluence on Epithelial Cell Injury in an In-Vitro Model of Airway Reopening." Journal of Applied Physiology ?, no. 103, 1796-1807 - 1796-1807.
- Ghadiali, S.; Gaver, D., 2000, "Experimental and computational investigations of surfactant physicochemical behavior during pulmonary airway opening." Annals of Biomedical Engineering 28, no. SUPPL. 1,
- Gaver, D.P.; Krueger, M.A.; Ghadiali, S.N., 1997, "The influence of surfactant physicochemical properties on pulmonary interfacial flow analogues." American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Bioengineering Division (Publication) BED 36, 41-42 - 41-42.
- "Using Alveolar Pneumocyte Self-Derived Exosomes to Modulate Lung Inflammatory Response." 2017, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society Meeting,
- "Guiding Tumor Cell Invasion using Non-soluble Cues in the Tumor Microenvironment." 2017, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society Meeting,
Papers in Proceedings
- Bobba, C.; Ballinger, M.N.; Englert, J.A.; Ghadiali, S.N. "MicroRNA-146a Is Differentially Regulated in Alveolar Macrophages During Mechanotransduction in Ventilator Induced Lung Injury." in International Conference of the American-Thoracic-Society. (1 2018).
- Chen, X.; Ghadiali, S. "Computational model of microbubble flows during the reopening of airways." (12 2011).
- Sheer, F.J.; Ghadiali, S.N. "Computational analysis of adhesion dynamics in the eustachian tube during inflammatory otitis media." (12 2011).
- Zielinski, R.; Mihai, C.; Ghadiali, S. "Multi-scale modeling of cancer cell migration and adhesion during epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition." (12 2011).
- Mihai, C.; Bao, S.; Knoell, D.; Ghadiali, S.N. "Influence Of PTEN Inhibition On The Biomechanical Mechanisms Responsible For Rapid Cell Migration And Wound Repair." (1 2010).
- Dailey, H.L.; Ghadiali, S.N. "Fluid-structure analysis of convective and diffusive particle transport in pulmonary alveoli." (12 2005).
- Bluestone, C.D.; Alper, C.M.; Buchman, C.A.; Felding, J.U. et al. "Eustachian tube, middle ear, and mastoid anatomy; physiology, pathophysiology, and pathogenesis." (1 2005).
- Capozzi, M.T.; Swarts, J.D.; Ghadiali, S. "Influence of molecular adhesion on flow phenomena in a collapsed respiratory airway: A multi-scale analysis." (12 2005).
- Ghadiali, S.N.; Federspiel, W.J.; Douglas Swarts, J.; Doyle, W.J. "Measurement of Eustachian tube mechanical properties using a modified forced response test." (12 2001).
- Gaver, D.P.; Ghadiali, S.N.; Williams, H.A.R.; Halpern, D. "Pulmonary surfactant transport in steady and unsteady flows." (12 2001).
- Ghadiali, S.N.; Gaver, D.P. "Influence of bulk surfactant transport on airway reopening." (12 1999).
- Hostnik, E.T.; Ham, K.; Ghadiali, S.; Habing, G. et al. "Quantification of Airflow Resistance by Computed Tomography in English Bulldogs Before and After Airway Surgery." in 2017 ACVS Surgery Summit.