You are here
- Home >
- Daniel Gallego-Perez
Daniel Gallego Perez
- Assistant Professor, General Surgery
- Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering
Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute
473 W 12th Ave, Room 012E/F
Columbus, OH 43210
- B.S., Antioquia School of Engineering, 2003
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University, 2011
Key Honors and Distinctions
- Lumley Interdisciplinary Research Award, 2017.
- William G. Lowrie Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Outstanding Post-Doc Award for Research Excellence, 2014.
- CWRU Society for Biomaterials – Biomaterials Day, Student Presentation Award, 2010.
- Ohio State Biomedical Engineering Conference, Best Presentation in Micro/Nanotechnology, 2009.
- Society for Biomaterials Meeting, Student Travel Achievement Recognition, 2009.
- Biomedical Engineering Society Meeting, Student Travel Award, 2008.
- Ohio State Biomedical Engineering Conference, Best Presentation in Micro/Nanotechnology, 2008.
- The 8th New Jersey Symposium on Biomaterials Science, Student Travel Scholarship, 2006.
RESEARCH AREAS – Gallego-Perez NanoMedicine Lab https://gallegopereznanomed.engineering.osu.edu/
- Lab-on-a-Chip platforms, single cell analyses, gene delivery, cell reprogramming
- Graduate student research opportunities are currently available. [indicate whether you have grad student or postdoc opportunities in the lab][D1] Open positions (https://gallegopereznanomed.engineering.osu.edu/)
- Hansford D, Schley J, Gallego-Perez D. “Electroosmotic devices for fluid handling” US Patent #61/883,592. 9/27/13.
- Pal D, Gallego-Perez D, Ghatak S, Lee LJ, Sen CK. “compositions and methods for reprogramming somatic cells into induced endothelial cells”. Provisional patent filed (2016).
The Nano Medicine Laboratory at OSU is dedicated to the development and implementation of novel micro-/nanoscale platforms (e.g., Lab-on-Chip devices, gene delivery chips, tissue engineering scaffolds) for applications in fundamental and/or translational medical research.
Institute for Materials Research Innovation Award.
Lumley Interdisciplinary Research Award.
Outstanding Post-Doc Award for Research Excellence.
Student Presentation Award.
Best Presentation in Micro/Nanotechnology.
Student Travel Achievement Recognition.
Student Travel Award.
Student Travel Scholarship.
- 2015. "Microwell Array-Mediated Delivery of Lipoplexes Containing Nucleic Acids for Enhanced Therapeutic Efficacy." In RNA interference: challenges and therapeutic opportunities, edited by Sioud, M,
- Wu,Yun; Gallego-Perez,Daniel; Lee,L,James. 2015. "Microwell array-mediated delivery of lipoplexes containing nucleic acids for enhanced therapeutic efficacy.."
- 2012. "Micropatterned Coatings for Guided Tissue Regeneration in Dental Implantology." In Cell Interaction,
- 2012. "Propagation of Human Bone Marrow Stem Cells for Craniofacial Applications." In Stem Cells and Cancer Stem Cells: Therapeutic Applications in Disease and Injury,
- Shukla, V.C.; Kuang, T-R.; Senthilvelan, A.; Higuita-Castro, N. et al., 2018, "Lab-on-a-Chip Platforms for Biophysical Studies of Cancer with Single-Cell Resolution.." Trends Biotechnol 36, no. 5, 549-561 - 549-561.
- Kuang, T.; Chang, L.; Peng, X.; Hu, X. et al., 2017, "Molecular Beacon Nano-Sensors for Probing Living Cancer Cells.." Trends Biotechnol 35, no. 4, 347-359 - 347-359.
- Gallego Perez, D.; Pal, D.; Ghatak, S.; Malkoc, V. et al., 2017, "Topical tissue nano-transfection mediates non-viral stroma reprogramming and rescue." Nature Nanotechnology 974-979 - 974-979.
- Chang, L.; Li, L.; Shi, J.; Sheng, Y. et al., 2016, "Micro-/nanoscale electroporation.." Lab Chip 16, no. 21, 4047-4062 - 4047-4062.
- Chang, L.; Bertani, P.; Gallego-Perez, D.; Yang, Z. et al., 2016, "3D nanochannel electroporation for high-throughput cell transfection with high uniformity and dosage control.." Nanoscale 8, no. 1, 243-252 - 243-252.
- Chang, L.; Gallego-Perez, D.; Chiang, C-L.; Bertani, P. et al., 2016, "Controllable Large-Scale Transfection of Primary Mammalian Cardiomyocytes on a Nanochannel Array Platform.." Small 12, no. 43, 5971-5980 - 5971-5980.
- Kim, S-H.; Ezhilarasan, R.; Phillips, E.; Gallego-Perez, D. et al., 2016, "Serine/Threonine Kinase MLK4 Determines Mesenchymal Identity in Glioma Stem Cells in an NF-κB-dependent Manner.." Cancer Cell 29, no. 2, 201-213 - 201-213.
- Gallego-Perez, D.; Otero, J.J.; Czeisler, C.; Ma, J. et al., 2016, "Deterministic transfection drives efficient nonviral reprogramming and uncovers reprogramming barriers.." Nanomedicine 12, no. 2, 399-409 - 399-409.
- Gu, S.Q.; Gallego-Perez, D.; McClory, S.P.; Shi, J. et al., 2016, "The human PMR1 endonuclease stimulates cell motility by down regulating miR-200 family microRNAs." Nucleic Acids Research 44, no. 12, 5811-5819 - 5811-5819.
- Zhao, X.; Huang, X.; Wang, X.; Wu, Y. et al., 2015, "Nanochannel Electroporation as a Platform for Living Cell Interrogation in Acute Myeloid Leukemia.." Adv Sci (Weinh) 2, no. 12, 1500111 - 1500111.
- Czeisler, C.; Gallego-Perez, D.; Ortiz, C.; Gygli, P. et al., 2015, "Nuclear Reprogramming with Hindbrain Patterning Genes by Nanochannel Electroporation." FASEB JOURNAL 29,
- Bertani, P.; Lu, W.; Chang, L.; Gallego-Perez, D. et al., 2015, "Bosch etching for the creation of a 3D nanoelectroporation system for high throughput gene delivery." JOURNAL OF VACUUM SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY B 33, no. 6,
- Zhao, X.; Wu, Y.; Gallego-Perez, D.; Kwak, K.J. et al., 2015, "Effect of nonendocytic uptake of nanoparticles on human bronchial epithelial cells.." Anal Chem 87, no. 6, 3208-3215 - 3208-3215.
- Holfinger, S.J.; Reinhardt, J.W.; Reen, R.; Schultz, K.M. et al., 2015, "Pancreatic Epithelial Cells Form Islet-Like Clusters in the Absence of Directed Migration." Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering 8, no. 3, 496-506 - 496-506.
- Chang, L.; Howdyshell, M.; Liao, W-C.; Chiang, C-L. et al., 2015, "Magnetic tweezers-based 3D microchannel electroporation for high-throughput gene transfection in living cells.." Small 11, no. 15, 1818-1828 - 1818-1828.
- Chang, L.; Gallego-Perez, D.; Zhao, X.; Bertani, P. et al., 2015, "Dielectrophoresis-assisted 3D nanoelectroporation for non-viral cell transfection in adoptive immunotherapy.." Lab Chip 15, no. 15, 3147-3153 - 3147-3153.
- Gupta, C.; Liao, W-C.; Gallego-Perez, D.; Castro, C.E. et al., 2014, "DNA translocation through short nanofluidic channels under asymmetric pulsed electric field.." Biomicrofluidics 8, no. 2, 024114 - 024114.
- Xie, P.; He, P.; Yen, Y.C.; Kwak, K.J. et al., 2014, "Rapid hot embossing of polymer microstructures using carbide-bonded graphene coating on silicon stampers." Surface and Coatings Technology 258, 174-180 - 174-180.
- Wang, X.; Huang, X.; Yang, Z.; Gallego-Perez, D. et al., 2014, "Targeted delivery of tumor suppressor microRNA-1 by transferrin-conjugated lipopolyplex nanoparticles to patient-derived glioblastoma stem cells.." Curr Pharm Biotechnol 15, no. 9, 839-846 - 839-846.
- Huang, W.; Yu, J.; Kwak, K.J.; Gallego-Perez, D. et al., 2013, "Atomic carbide bonding leading to superior graphene networks.." Adv Mater 25, no. 33, 4668-4672 - 4668-4672.
- Wu, Y.; Terp, M.C.; Kwak, K.J.; Gallego-Perez, D. et al., 2013, "Surface-mediated nucleic acid delivery by lipoplexes prepared in microwell arrays.." Small 9, no. 13, 2358-2367 - 2358-2367.
- Wang, F.; He, H.; Wang, X.; Li, Z. et al., 2012, "Micropatterned thermoresponsive surfaces by polymerization of monomer crystals: modulating cellular morphology and cell-substrate interactions.." Anal Chem 84, no. 21, 9439-9445 - 9439-9445.
- Gallego,Daniel; Higuita,Natalia; Garcia,Felipe; Ferrell,Nicholas; Hansford,Derek,J, 2008, "Bioactive coatings on Portland cement substrates: Surface precipitation of apatite-like crystals." MATERIALS SCIENCE & ENGINEERING C-BIOMIMETIC AND SUPRAMOLECULAR SYSTEMS 28, no. 3, 347-352 - 347-352.
- "Ectopic development of neuronal organoids via direct tissue reprogramming. Society for Neuroscience." 2017, Presented at Society for Neuroscience,
- "Nanotechnology-based non-viral approaches for gene delivery to peripheral nerves." 2017, Presented at Society for Neuroscience,
- "Neurotrophic skin environment caused by direct reprograming of skin cells to neural cells may rescue against loss of neural fibers caused by diabetic peripheral neuropathy.." 2017, Presented at Society for Neuroscience,
- "Nanotechnology-based Reprogramming of Diabetic Tissue Resolves Local Vasculopathy." 2017, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society Meeting,
- "Micro- and Nano-engineered Surfaces Modulate the Phenotype of Blood-derived Cells: Applications in Regenerative Medicine." 2017, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society Meeting,
- "Non-Viral Gene Delivery to Peripheral Nerve through a Nanostructured Chip Platform." 2016, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society Meeting,
- "Inducing Tissue Plasticity and Repair via Nanochannel-mediated Gene Delivery." 2016, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society Meeting,
- "Controlled tissue transdifferentiation by nanochannel electroporation." 2015, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society Meeting,
- "Nanotechnology-Based Approaches for Triggering and Controlling Skin Cell Reprogramming In Vivo." 2015, Presented at Military Health System Research Symposium,
- "Nanochannel-Based Electrotransfection of Skin Cells In Vivo." 2014, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society Meeting,
- "Controlled Cell Transdifferentiation In Vitro by Nanochannel Electroporation." 2014, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society Meeting,
- "Direct conversion of fibroblast to neurons via nanochannel electroporation." 2013, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society Meeting,
- "Immuno-Lipoplex Nanoparticle Microarrays for Capture and Detection of Circulating Tumor Cells and Exosomes." 2012, Presented at Materials Research Society Meeting,
- "Nanoelectroporation for safe and efficient cell reprogramming." 2012, Presented at Biomedical Engineering Society Meeting,
- "CEBPA Mutant Regulates miR181a Expression in AML Cells: A Single Cell Study by Nanochannel Electroporation." 2012, Presented at AIChE meeting,
- "Fabrication methods for polymer MEMS." 2007, Presented at American society for precision engineering,
- "Fabrication and Biocompatibility testing of Plaster of Paris Porous Scaffolds." 2005, Presented at 2nd Colombian Congress of Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering,
- "Identification of caspase substrates in carcinogenic cells using proteomics." 2003, Presented at 1st Colombian Congress of Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering,
Papers in Proceedings
- Gygli, P.E.; Byers, S.; Higuita-Castro, N.; Czeisler, C. et al. "Deterministic transfection and genetic manipulation of organotypic brain slice cultures for ex vivo imaging." (4 2016).
- Bertani, P.; Chang, L.Q.; Gallego-Perez, D.; Malkoc, V. et al. "3D Si-based nanochannel platform for robust cell electroporation." (8 2015).
- Wang, L.J.; Li, L.; Ma, J.; Wu, Y. et al. "A microfluidic platform with continuous rapid cell trapping and micro/nano electroporation for single living cell study." (1 2014).
- Ma, J.; Kwak, K.J.; Wu, Y.; Gallego-Perez, D. et al. "Tethered immunolipoplex nanoparticle (tILN) device for detection of circulating tumor cells (CTCs) for lung cancer diagnosis." (12 2012).
- Pelaez-Vargas, A.; Gallego-Perez, D.; Fernandes, M.H.; Hansford, D. et al. "Microstructured coatings to study the behavior of osteoblast-like cells on hard materials." (5 2011).
- Carvalho, A.; Pelaez-Vargas, A.; Gallego-Perez, D.; Fernandes, M.H. et al. "Adhesion and proliferation of mesenchymal stem cells on micropatterned thin films modified with nanohydroxyapatite particles." (5 2011).
- Xu, J.; Dapino, M.J.; Gallego-Perez, D.; Hansford, D. "Validation and characterization of an acoustic sensor based on PVDF micropillars and patterned electrodes." (12 2010).
- Ferrell,Nicholas; Woodard,James; Gallego-Perez,Daniel; Higuita-Castro,Natalia; Hansford,Derek "POLYMER MEMS FOR MEASURING SINGLE CELL FORCES." (1 2010).
- D Gallego-Perez, N Ferrell, DJ Hansford "Fabrication of piezoelectric Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF) microstructures by soft lithography for tissue engineering and cell biology applications." in MRS Spring Meeting 2007. (4 2007).
- D Gallego-Perez, N Higuita-Castro, F Garcia, N Ferrell, DJ Hansford "Bioactive coatings on Portland cement: Surface precipitation of apatite-like crystals." in Symposium on Advanced Processing of Biomaterials. (10 2006).
- "Nano-engineered therapeutic stealth cells."
- "Designer Extracellular Vesicles for Targeted Therapies Against Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells."
- "Novel custom-made nanocarriers for lung inflammation therapy."
- "Compositions and methods for reprogramming skin into insulin-producing tissue."
- "Interpenetrating nanochannels for deep-topical tissue nanoelectroinjection."
- "Compositions and methods for reprogramming somatic cells into induced endothelial cells."