You are here

Advising Resources for Enrolled Graduate Students

Who Can Help & How It Works:

If you need help with anything, your first point of contact should be Melanie in the BME Graduate Studies Office at

All graduate students are assigned a BME Department faculty member to be an 'academic advisor' (also called 'core contact') who can advise and assist with academic decisions. Students must meet with their BME departmental faculty advisors at least once each term to discuss scheduling and program goals. It is perfectly acceptable to request a change of academic advisor at anytime. (This BME faculty advisor should be consulted in addition to your faculty research advisor, who may or may not be the same.)

Graduate School is different from the undegraduate experience. Graduate students are expected to be very proactive in consulting with their faculty academic & research advisors to stay on the right track and to seek academic advice. As well, the Officers of the Biomedical Engineering Graduate Student Association (BMEGSA) are an excellent resource! Contact them for student and peer support and advice. 

Graduate Studies Committee Chair, Dr. Jun Liu, is an additional excellent resource for program and research questions and can be reached at

Most of you will meet all deadlines and follow all procedures per University policy, but sometimes there are 'snags'. As a rule, it is best to approach your home department first when attempting to tackle an administrative problem relating to scheduling, fees, research appointments, transfer work, or financial aid.

Most often, there is no harm in a one or two-day delay in resolving your issue; however, if you cannot reach the Graduate Studies Office for assistance and are experiencing an urgent problem, please feel free to consult the following resources.

  • Registration: For questions on just about any aspect of the scheduling process, fees, and registration deadlines, try
  • Drops/Adds/Petitions/Penalties: For questions about deadlines and schedule correction procedures, please contact the Graduate School at
  • Funding matters: GTAs or GRAs hired through BME should contact Kirsten Gibbons at 292-1625 or GRAs hired by a faculty member in an affiliated unit or department should contact the HR or Fiscal person in that area.
  • Fellowships: You may email Melanie with questions of eligibility and deferment, and Kirsten Gibbons with questions about HR paperwork, fellowship supplements, or computer lab fee reimbursements. Fellowship Services staff at the Graduate School may help most!
  • University Fees & Policies: For help with financial aid matters, registration challenges, tuition and fee payments, or managing your Student Center, contact the Student Services Center at
  • BME Computing and BME Account Details: contact Jerry Heskett at
  • Keys or Access to BME Labs & Offices: undergraduates contact Cory Matyas at and graduates contact Melanie Senitko at